Woman slaughtered by co worker

Jayna Murray, an employee at a Lululemon store in Bethesda, Maryland, had been killed by co-worker Brittany Norwood.

Norwood planned and carried out the gruesome attack known as the Lululemon murder after Murray caught her stealing a pair of leggings. She then created an elaborate lie for police, claiming two masked men had entered the store and raped both women before murdering Murray and leaving Norwood tied up.

But police were suspicious of Norwood’s story from the beginning. The evidence on the blood-soaked scene pointed to an inside job.

Jayna Troxel Murray, a 30-year-old graduate student at Johns Hopkins University, accepted a job at Lululemon Athletica so she could meet other active people and attend seminars that would help her as she pursued a Master of Business Administration degree.

She met 29-year-old Brittany Norwood while working at the store, and fellow employees said there were never any issues between the two women.

On March 11, 2011, Murray and Norwood were both working the closing shift at the Lululemon in the upscale Bethesda Row shopping center. The two women checked each other’s bags at the end of the night, as per store policy. Murray found a pair of stolen leggings in Norwood’s belongings.

They left the store at 9:45 p.m., and six minutes later Murray called a store manager to tell her about the leggings. Soon after, Norwood called Murray and told her she’d accidentally left her wallet in the store and needed to go back inside and get it.

At 10:05 p.m., the pair re-entered the store. Moments later, employees at a neighboring Apple store heard a commotion.

Apple employee Jana Svrzo heard a woman’s voice say, “Don’t do this. Talk to me. What’s going on?” followed by ten minutes of shouting and grunting. The same voice later said, “God help me, please help me.” The Apple employees did not call authorities because they thought it was “just drama.”

The next morning, manager Rachel Oertli walked into Lululemon and discovered a gruesome scene. She called 911 and told the dispatcher, “There’s two people in the back of my store. One person seems dead, and the other person is breathing.”

Police arrived on the scene to discover Jayna Murray lying face-down in a pool of her own blood and Brittany Norwood bound with zip ties in the store’s bathroom. After freeing the seemingly shaken Norwood, investigators listened to her odd tale of what had happened the night before.

According to Norwood, when she and Murray entered the store to retrieve her wallet, two masked men slipped in behind them. The men raped both women before killing Murray and tying Norwood up while calling her racial slurs, supposedly letting her live because she was more fun to have sex with.

Each time police spoke with Norwood, they noticed inconsistencies in her story. She told police she had never been in Murray’s car, but detectives had found her blood on the vehicle’s door handle, gear shift, and steering wheel. On March 18, 2011, Norwood was arrested for Murray’s murder, and police unraveled the truth about what really happened the night of March 11.

Mary Ripple, Deputy Chief Medical Examiner for the State of Maryland, told jurors that Jayna Murray had no fewer than 331 injuries on her body that came from at least five different weapons. Her head and face were badly bruised and covered in cuts, and the blow that had ultimately killed her was likely a stab wound on the back of her neck that severed her spinal cord and went all the way through to her brain.

“That area of your brain is pretty critical to you being able to function,” Ripple testified. “She wouldn’t have lived very long after that. She would not have been able to have any voluntary movement to defend herself.”

Murray’s injuries were so gruesome that her family was not able to have an open casket at her funeral.

After using items from the store’s tool kit to brutally murder Jayna Murray, including a hammer, a knife, a merchandise peg, a rope, and a box cutter, Brittany Norwood left the store and moved Murray’s car to a parking lot three blocks away.

She sat in the car for 90 minutes trying to come up with a plan to cover her crimes.

Norwood then donned a pair of size 14 men’s shoes, jumped in a puddle of Murray’s blood, and walked around the store to make it seem as if male attackers had been inside. Finally, she tied her own hands and feet with zip ties and settled into the bathroom to wait for morning.

Brittany Norwood appears to have kept a low profile since she lost her 2015 appeal, as there is no current information about her online.