Kyron Horman Still Missing

Kyron Richard Horman (September 9, 2002) is an American boy who disappeared from Skyline Elementary School in Portland, Oregon, on June 4, 2010, after attending a science fair. Local and state police, along with the FBI, conducted an exhaustive search for Horman and launched a criminal investigation, but have not uncovered any significant information regarding the child’s whereabouts. His disappearance sparked the largest criminal investigation in Oregon history. As of 2019, his whereabouts remain unknown.

Kyron Horman.jpg

Kyron Richard Horman was born September 9, 2002, in Portland, Oregon, to Desiree Young and Kaine Horman, an engineer for Intel. Desiree and Kaine Horman divorced eight months into her pregnancy with Kyron, with Desiree citing irreconcilable differences. The two had been granted shared custody of Kyron until 2004, but when Desiree was diagnosed with kidney failure that required extensive medical intervention, Kaine took over full custody; notwithstanding this fact, Desiree still remained an active part of Kyron’s upbringing.

In 2007, Kaine married Terri Moulton (born March 14, 1970), a substitute teacher originally from Roseburg, Oregon. Kaine became romantically involved with Terri around 2001 when he and Desiree were in the midst of divorcing. Kaine and Terri married in 2007 while in Kauai. In December 2008, Terri gave birth to a daughter, Kiara. Meanwhile, Kyron was a student at Skyline Elementary School near Forest Park.

June 4, 2010

On June 4, 2010, Kyron was taken to school by his stepmother, Terri, who then stayed with him while he attended a science fair. Terri stated that she left the school at around 8:45 a.m. and that she last remembered seeing Kyron walking down the hall to his first class. However, he was never seen in his first class, a math class, and was instead marked as absent that day.

Terri’s statements to the police indicate that, after leaving the school at 8:45 a.m., she ran errands at two different Fred Meyer grocery stores until about 10:10 a.m. Between then and 11:39 a.m., Terri stated that she was driving her daughter around town in an attempt to use the motion of the vehicle to soothe the toddler’s earache. Terri said that she then went to a local gym and worked out until about 12:40 p.m. By 1:21 p.m., she had arrived home and posted photos of Kyron at the science fair on Facebook.

At 3:30 p.m., Terri and her husband, Kaine, walked with their daughter, Kiara, to the bus stop to meet Kyron. The bus driver told them that the boy had not boarded the bus after school, however, and to call the school to ask his whereabouts. Terri did so, only to be informed by the school secretary that, as far as anyone there knew, Kyron had not been at school since early that day and that he had accordingly been marked absent. Realizing then that the boy was missing, the secretary called 9-1-1.

Initial search efforts

The search efforts for Kyron were extensive and primarily focused on a 2-mile (3.2 km) radius around Skyline Elementary and on Sauvie Island, approximately 6 miles (9.7 km) away. Law enforcement did not disclose their reasons for searching the area where they did, which included a search of the Sauvie Island Bridge.

On June 12, around 300 trained rescuers were on the ground searching wooded areas near Skyline Elementary. The search for Kyron, which spanned over ten days, was the largest in Oregon history, and included over 1,300 searchers from Oregon, Washington, and California. A reward posted for information leading to the discovery of Kyron, which was initially $25,000, expanded to $50,000 in late-July 2010.

Legal Proceedings

In late June 2010, in the midst of the investigation into Kyron’s disappearance, Kaine Horman was purportedly told by investigators that Terri had offered their landscaper, Rodolfo Sanchez, “a lot of money” to kill him. Sanchez testified in a deposition that Terri approached him to help kill her husband in January 2010, five months before Kyron’s disappearance but when Terri’s attorney Stephen Houze asked if Terri asked him to kill her husband, he said no. It was later learned that the DA told Sanchez his family would be deported if he didn’t participate in a sting and testimony.

Investigators convinced Sanchez to confront Terri while wearing a wire, but they were unable to obtain any evidence and could not make an arrest. On June 28, Kaine filed for divorce and obtained a restraining order against Terri. The divorce was granted and Terri was eventually granted supervised visitation with her daughter.

During this time, Terri failed two separate polygraph examinations regarding Kyron’s disappearance. In August 2010, it was announced that law enforcement were searching for an individual allegedly seen by two witnesses sitting inside Terri’s truck outside Skyline Elementary the day of Kyron’s disappearance. Bruce McCain, a former sheriff for the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office, told CBS News: “The identity of that second person, if he or she existed, could be critical in determining what happened to Kyron after 9 a.m. on June 4 .

In early August 2010, both Young and Kaine were subpoenaed and testified during the grand jury, as well as the school principal of Skyline Elementary. In December 2010, it was reported by The Oregonian that the grand jury had yet to provide compelling evidence yielding a potential indictment. By November 29, 2010, search efforts in Kyron’s case had cost an estimated $1.4 million according to county commissioners, and yielded 4,257 tips.

Lawsuit against Terri Horman

On June 1, 2012, Kyron’s mother, Desiree Young, filed a civil lawsuit against Terri claiming that she was “responsible for the disappearance of Kyron.” The lawsuit attempted to prove that Terri had kidnapped Kyron on the day he disappeared. Young sought $10 million in damages from Horman. On August 15, 2012, a federal court judge denied a motion by Terri to delay the lawsuit. In early-October 2012, Spicher refused to answer 142 questions during a deposition regarding Young’s lawsuit. Among these questions were ones regarding Spicher’s whereabouts on June 4, 2010, and her contact with Terri that day. She also declined to identify a photo of Kyron, whether she had met him before or not, and whether she knew his father, Kaine.

During testimony provided by Kaine Horman in a separate hearing the same year, he stated that police had told him they “have more probable cause to think Terri Horman was involved in Kyron’s disappearance than they did two years ago.” On July 30, 2013, it was announced that Young had dropped the lawsuit against Terri so as not to interfere with the ongoing police investigation.

We know very little about Kyron’s whereabouts, if you have any information please contact the police. Below I linked his Facebook page…