Larry Eyler – Caught During His Murder Spree

Before the horrors of Jeffrey Dahmer came to light, Larry Eyler targeted vulnerable young homosexuals across the American Midwest.

Larry Eyler With His Mom And Attorney

If only Larry Eyler had been jailed for the attempted murder of Craig Long, perhaps some 21 other young men could have been spared.

Born in 1952 in Crawfordsville, Indiana to a battered mother and an alcoholic father, life was not easy for Eyler from the start. His father regularly beat him and his two older and one younger sibling. Even after his mother left his father when Eyler was just two years old, life didn’t improve.

Their mother worked to make ends meet but the Eyler children were left in the care of babysitters, foster homes, and many times, just each other.

Even in school, Eyler couldn’t find relief. Though he was active in school sports, he was bullied by his peers for his family’s financial state and the fact that his mother was never around. His younger sister, Teresa, often came to his aid and Eyler would later describe her as one of his closest confidantes.

The emotional damage from the repeated physical and emotional abuse caused Eyler to act out, which caused his mother to have him psychologically evaluated.

The tests came back showing that Eyler was of average intelligence, but had been plagued by severe insecurity and fear of abandonment. Experts recommended, despite Eyler’s fear of abandonment, that he be placed in a boy’s home in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He lasted six months before his mother brought him home.

Though he was, arguably, one of the worst serial killers of the late ’70s and early ’80s, Larry Eyler was generally well-liked among his peers. In fact, following the Craig Long incident, his friends raised money and posted his $10,000 bond to get him released from prison.

Following his completion of high school via a GED, Eyler took a job at the Marion County General Hospital. He later moved careers and took a job at a shoe store and a liquor store.

When he wasn’t working, he frequented Indianapolis’s selection of gay bars, building a community and, for the first time in his life, making friends. In his early school days, he had discovered he was gay, and despite his reservations about it, he embraced it later in life.

However, those who had sexual encounters with Larry Eyler described another layer to the man. He started off as the cool, laid-back guy everyone else described, but often turned violent in the bedroom.

Many of his conquests described Eyler choking or bludgeoning them, or even inflicting light knife wounds on their torsos, often while shouting profanities.

It is believed that between 1982 and 1984 Larry Eyler picked up and murdered, at minimum, 21 young men. Their bodies were found strewn about the sides of highways or dropped unceremoniously in cornfields near major bypasses, earning Eyler his nickname of the “Highway Killer” or “Interstate Killer.”

All of the men had been found with their pants and underwear around their ankles, subjected to various forms of sadomasochism and sexual assault. They all displayed signs of bludgeoning as well, including bruising and contusions, and knife marks to their torsos.

The victims were usually missing their shirts and wallets as well.

By January of 1983, a coordinated task force had been assembled to put an end to these gruesome murders. The task force first noticed that each of the crimes had likely been committed by the same perpetrator. The second was that the perpetrator had displayed such a level of rage that even the task force was surprised.

Image result for Larry Eyler before death in prison

Many of the victims had excessive head wounds, suggesting that the perpetrator had continued stabbing them long past the fatal blow. They also displayed signs of aggravated assault, again continuing long past their deaths.

One victim, 19-year-old Steven Crockett, had been stabbed a sickening 32 times — and four of those blows had been to the head. Some of the victims were as young as 14.

The force determined that the perpetrator was likely a disturbed individual who was at war with his sexuality – that he had been guilty about his homosexual encounters and had killed the victim in an attempt to cover up his crimes and his indiscretions. The dismemberment of his victims followed this thinking. Some of the victims had even been disemboweled.

Despite their profile of the killer, however, the task force seemed to be at a dead end. They had discovered who the killer ought to be, but they were having a difficult time finding out exactly who he was – and the bodies were still being found.

On Sept. 30, 1983, Larry Eyler was arrested on a traffic violation. When he was pulled over there was a young hitchhiker in the car with him and based on the sketchy interactions between the two the officer arrested both men for solicitation.

Following the arrest, Eyler’s truck was searched, revealing rope in the trunk, along with handcuffs, a hammer, two baseball bats, a mallet, and surgical tape. The police began questioning him, and subsequently alerted the special task force that had been assembled to investigate the Highway Killer.

Immediately the task force’s interest was piqued – Larry Eyler fit the profile of their killer almost perfectly. His lifestyle was a match for the man they were looking for, and he had admitted to commuting back and forth during the week from the two areas where most of the bodies had been found.

The task force eventually questioned Eyler about two murders, a pair of the most recent ones, but he refused to cooperate. Following a forensic examination of his truck, investigators were ultimately forced to let him go. Worried that he now knew he was a murder suspect would lead him to dispose of crucial evidence, the police managed to obtain a search warrant for the home Eyler shared with Robert Little.

There, they discovered mounds of circumstantial evidence that linked him to multiple murders. Receipts for handcuffs, credit card statements that put him in the suspected murder locations, knives, and a hospital bill revealing he’d been treated for a deep knife cut to the hand. Investigators thus came to believe that Larry Eyler was their Highway Killer.

On October 29, just a month after his first arrest, Larry Eyler was formally arrested and charged with murder. Based on the various searches of his car, the home he shared with Little, and another search of the home he shared with the Dobrovolskis family, the task force felt they had more than enough evidence.

By this time, Eyler had been feeling the heat and had compiled a legal defense team.

Larry Eyler Mugshot

At trial, the prosecution listed the mounting evidence against their client, including fingerprints found both on the interior and exterior of the trash bags in which the body had been found, bloodstains in the apartment that suggested a heavily bleeding body was dragged across the floor, and various forms of restraints.

The prosecution also had a few tricks up their sleeve to break Eyler down.

Larry Eyler was found guilty of the aggravated kidnapping, unlawful restraint and murder of Daniel Bridges, and sentenced to death. Over the next few months, more murder charges would follow as the task force linked more men to Eyler. In private conversations with attorney Kathleen Zellner, Eyler ultimately confessed to more than 21 murders, a fact which Zellner kept to herself until after Eyler’s death.

In March of 1994, following complications from AIDS which Eyler had been diagnosed with after his imprisonment, he died. Per his last requests, Zellner shared his confessions with the world and provided details of the individual cases that only the murderer would know. He also implicated Little who was ultimately acquitted.

He admitted to kidnapping, raping, torturing and murdering 21 young men and boys between the years of 1982 and 1984, and listed them by name in his confession, knowing that death was just around the corner and he would never face further justice.