Sorrel-Weed House

The Sorrel–Weed House, or the Francis Sorrel House, is a historic landmark and Savannah Museum located in Savannah, Georgia. It represents one of the finest examples of Greek Revival and Regency architecture in Savannah and was one of the first two homes in the State of Georgia to be made a State Landmark in 1954. At 16,000 square feet, it is also one of the largest houses in the city. The Sorrel-Weed House was first opened to the public in January 1940 by the Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks. It was the Society’s first exhibit and was called “The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks Presents a loan Exhibit of Furniture and Fine Arts 18th and 19th Centuries at the Sorrel-Weed House on Madison Square : Jan-April 1940.” This Society later became the Historic Savannah Foundation. The Sorrel-Weed House was opened again to the public in 2005 and conducts Historic Savannah Tours during the day and Haunted Savannah Ghost Tours inside the house every evening. These tours are conducted by The Sorrel-Weed House Museum. It is located at the corner of Bull Street and Harris Street.

Sorrel Weed House; Haunted Savannah

The Sorrel–Weed House was the boyhood home of Brigadier General Moxley Sorrel, who fought for the Confederate States of America during the Civil War. He served under General James Longstreet, and after the War wrote “Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer”, considered to be one of the top postwar accounts written. General Robert E. Lee visited the home in late 1861 and early 1862. He and Francis Sorrel had been friends since the early 1830s. Lee also visited the Sorrel family in April 1870, shortly before his death.

Legend of The Sorrel-Weed House

The Sorrel-Weed House was built in the early 1840’s, and designed by noted architect Charles Cluskey. The house was built by Francis Sorrel, a wealthy plantation owner who was originally from the West Indies. He married soon after he emigrated to the United States, pairing with a young woman named Lucinda Moxley, who was just 17 years old. She was from an extremely wealthy family which did business with Francis. Unfortunately, Lucinda died just five years into their marriage in 1827. Two years later, Francis was joined in matrimony again, this time marrying his dead wife’s younger sister, 23 year old Matilda, in 1829. Francis’ shipping business grew exponentially during this time period, and he quickly rose to be one of the city’s most prominent and wealthy men. However, Francis did have his vices. He had a long-ongoing affair with one young slave girl in particular named Molly. Supposedly, Francis arranged for Molly to have special quarters set up above the carriage house so that they could have their lover’s trysts in private. However, they were discovered one night by Matilda Sorrel. Enraged by her husband’s infidelity, Matilda committed suicide by leaping from the second story balcony of the house, bashing her head against the flagstone courtyard. A few weeks after this grisly death, the slave Molly was found in the carriage house hanging from a noose, in yet another alleged suicide on the grounds.

Is it true? Many people believe it to be, and many ghost/ paranormal sightings have occurred here. I’d like to visit this place myself.