Glynn County Mass Murder

The Glynn County mass murder was discovered on August 29, 2009, when seven dead bodies were found at the New Hope Mobile Home Park in Glynn County, Georgia, near Brunswick. There were also two people found injured, one of whom later died of injuries.


At approximately 8:15 am on August 29, 2009, police received a 9-1-1 call from a 22-year-old man, Guy Heinze Jr., claiming that his whole family had been beaten to death. On arrival at the trailer park, they found seven people dead and two others critically injured. One of those injured, 19-year-old Michael Toler, died the following day in the hospital. On September 8, police stated that the victims had been beaten with a large instrument. They believed that three people committed the crime.

The murders gained international attention and have been referred to as the worst mass murder case in Georgia state history.

Police arrested Heinze on suspicion of tampering with evidence at the crime scene and on drug possession charges. Glynn County Police gave a press conference on August 30 in which they would not identify the other victims, but stated their ages ranged from “older than infants to their mid-40s”. Police chief Matt Doering said, “I wouldn’t call Mr. Heinze a suspect, but I won’t rule him out either. “On September 4 he was charged with the murders.

Image result for guy heinze murder


On September 14, 2009, Heinze was indicted by a grand jury, and prosecutors intended to seek the death penalty. In 2011, defense attorneys were given permission to observe DNA testing of a broken gun stock and other items recovered from the scene of the crimes. The judge originally assigned to the trial resigned in 2011 for reasons unrelated to the case. Heinze pleaded not guilty at an arraignment hearing on February 23, 2012. During the trial, the prosecution put forward the theory that drugs and money was the prime motivation for the murders. Heinze’s defense countered that the investigation refused to consider other suspects in the killings. On October 25, 2013, Heinze was convicted of all eight murders and sentenced to life imprisonment with no chance of parole. Prosecutors decided not to seek the death penalty as part of the deal with the defense when juror 152 was removed and replaced by a substitute.

There has been a documentary made about the killings, was this man actually the killer? In this crazy justice system, who knows..